Manual - Connecting to the internet
Connecting your Pocket PC to the internet is not a trivial job!
A few tips.
Desktop PC - 1
On your desktop PC:
- Install Microsoft ActiveSync 3.5 or newer!
- Open the ActiveSync main window..
- Click on the "File" menu and select the option "Connection
- On the lower half of the window you see a checkbox called "Allow
network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) server connection with this
Make sure this checkbox is checked!
Press the "Ok" button.
- Then click on the "Tools" menu of ActiveSync, select the option "Options"
and go to the tab called "Rules".
- On the bottom of that tab you see a frame titled "Pass through"
where you can select a connection.
Select the connection "The internet" and press the "Ok" button.
Pocket PC - 1
Then go to your Pocket PC.
- From the "Start" menu select the option "Settings" and go to the tab
- At the bottom of the window you'll see a
combobox titled "My
network card connects to".
In this combobox select the connection called "The internet".
- Then start the Internet Explorer on your
- From its "Tools" menu click the option called "Options".
- Go to the tab called "Advanced".
Make sure the checkbox called "Allow cookies" is checked.
- Now close the Options window again by pressing its "Ok" button and
close the Internet Explorer.
Desktop PC - 2
Back to the desktop PC:
- Connect your desktop PC to the internet the same way you do normally.
- Check if the connection works, e.g. by starting the Internet
Explorer and surfing to www.google.com
Pocket PC - 2
Then go back to the Pocket PC again:
- Make sure your Pocket PC is in its cradle.
- On your Pocket PC also start the Internet Explorer to check if you
can now surf the internet on it.
Surf to www.google.com to do so.
- Then start CheckPOInt.
- First you have to enter your e-mail address and POIplace security
code in CheckPOInt.
From CheckPOInt's menu choose the option "Synchronization settings".
- Enter the e-mail address and the security code you received from
POIplace by mail. Please make sure you enter both items exactly as you entered
them in POIplace.
Then press the button "Validate". CheckPOInt will connect to the POIplace
website and verify the e-mail address and security code.
- Now the option "Synchronize" on CheckPOInt's menu will be enabled.
Select it to start synchronizing.
- Press the button "Refresh" to fill up the still empty list of
available overlays on POIplace.
- Select the overlays you want to be downloaded automatically to your
- Make sure to also select the country that TomTom Navigator currently
shows the map of.
- Then press the "Synchronize" button to automatically download the
Please also see the Internet
settings option if you keep having problems getting CheckPOInt to connect to
< previous page